Channel the Yoda

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hit the Road (Trip) Jack!

Large coffee.
Quick stretch outside.
I'm off.
Blurry-eyed.
It's early.
14 hours to go.

I know this stretch.
Wisconsin to Minnesota.
I live this stretch.
Sip coffee. Eat a banana.

And 494! Smelly bridge.
Morning show on the radio.

Pee Break!
Coffee refill.
Gas up.
Stretch.
People stare.
I don't care.

Am I in Iowa yet?
Was there a Welcome sign?
Why won't you welcome me?!
Oh. There it is.
Zoom.

No cruise control.
No worries.
No air conditioning.
It is 82 degrees.
No worries.
That's what the windows are for...

Windmills!
Des Moines

No map.
No worries.
I have directions.
I have no idea how far away I am.
Where is Nebraska?
Am I close?
No worries.
It smells like toast and jam outside.

Why does it smell like toast and jam?!
Ouch! My eye!
My hair whipped it
Cause my windows are down
It is 86 degrees.

Nebraska!
Almost.
Council Bluffs. So close!
It still smells like toast and jam.

Ugh. I'm so sweaty.
Eat a sandwich.
Peanut Butter and Jelly.
I packed it last night.
THE CHOCOLATE BAR MELTED!
All over my hand.
88 degrees.

97.7 Spanish Radio Station
Coffee Break!
Quick run.
My shirt is covered in sweat.

Oooooooooomaha!
Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiincoln!
Pee break.
Rolling hills.
Still toast and jam!
Oops, it's my shampoo.
I showered.

6 hours in.
Flat.
Cows.
Windmills.
Gas up.
Pee break.
Beef jerky.
Gas up.
Pee break.
Cows. Cows. Fields.
"Wait, wait, Don't Tell Me"
SUNBURN!

Freaking sunburn.
Half my face.
Left arm.
Left thigh.
90 degrees.

I have melded to my seat.
Talking to my car.
Talking to myself.
Talking to the trees.
Yelling at Nebraska.
Am I close?
Close to the border?
Is there a border?
Why didn't I bring a map?
9 hours in.

Phone Call!
Roll up window to hear.
Suffocate.
End call.
Alone again.
With my thoughts.
Blank.

Colorado!
I must be close.
Denver!
What? Over 3 hours?!
But.
Desert tundra.
Empty highway.
Gas up.
Pee break.
82 degrees.

Sunset.
Twinkling lights.
From afar.
Eat a sandwich.
Windows rolled up.

Windows rolled down.
Final Stretch.
Finaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal countdown!
Am I there?
Am I there yet?
How about now?
Now?
Ah! Stop it.

13 hours.
I see it! An ending.
I’m a tad sad.
It’s hard to let go.

I’m here! This is it!
Outta the car.
Run. Run little girl!
Stretch. Breathe.
Look up. Look down.
All around.
Cool.

Okay. I’m ready.
Where now?

No comments:

Post a Comment