Channel the Yoda

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quebec Road Trip OPENING INSTALLMENT #1

QUEBEC ROAD TRIP
NOVEMBER 27TH-DECEMBER 3RD 2011

OPENING INSTALLMENT #1
November 26th/27th early am...

We started out the night before with a cigar and some Jamison.


I was pumped though I should’ve been exhausted. I had been working my ass off to stockpile enough money to afford this “Fly by the Seat of Our Pants” road trip. Here the day had arrived and I could feel my brain turning to mush from the constant barrage of short nights and long days.


It was at the beginning of November that we decided to take a road trip. A week later we decided on Montreal. 3 days later I got a bug up my butt to go to Quebec City. Always pushing it, aren’t I?


At first it was only supposed to be 3 days. Then 5 days. Then 6 and finally when Quebec City came into the picture I took off one more day from work to make it lucky number 7.


I knew when we started planning the trip that I didn’t have enough money to go but I’m stubborn and a believer that if you work hard enough life finds a way—you find a way to make things happen.


That I did.


Now, part of the road trip experience is not knowing what is going to pop up or where or why and definitely never sure of the how…


So before and during your trip it is best to:


1. Do your research; i.e. maps, possible destinations, border needs, weapons and food allowed, international cell phone charges, international credit card fees and currency exchange


     *Now Canada accepts US Dollars but it is worth less at this time. Verizon does not charge international fees for text messaging unless there is multimedia attached. AT&T IPhones offer an international package that covers texts, phone calls, internet access and multimedia.


2. Trust your gut (or your travel partner’s depending on who has the best luck)


     *Our gut kept us on a timely path that was never dull and worth every moment


3. Always have back up funds for wrong turns, missed exits, impromptu hotel stays, snow storms/excessive rain, and navigational devices that go awry


     *Always bet on more money for gas spent then what you believe because wrong turns always happen no matter what GPS system you have.


4. Switch up driving, take naps and stop for walks.


     *Good not to get stuck in a drive rut because it can take the fun out of the open road. Take breaks and enjoy the scenery


5. Always have food in the car just in case.


     *Snacks are a cheap and easy time saver


6. Know where your passport is.


     *Can’t get across the border without it.


7. Embrace the open road mentality

     *QUE SERA, SERA, WHAT WILL BE WILL BE


8. Go with someone you enjoy and who flows at the same speed as you


     *It can make the trip amazing or royal class crap. Be careful.


9. And don’t forget to laugh.

Cause life is about laughter...at least that is what I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment