Channel the Yoda

Friday, October 26, 2012

CHIGGERS ATE MY BODY and now I Itch...Bad

Chiggers ate my body.

They are mites, not under the skin like scabies, but they eat your skin and then lay larvae in the holes. Disgusting I know, so I spread this knowledge that when in the Ozarks of Missouri, WEAR LONG PANTS!

I saw an eight foot long black snake. Okay it was probably only three feet long but nonetheless I yelped like an old man getting mugged by a six year-old at a 7-11 on a Sunday morning. I did have a .22 with me but it was unloaded and I was so shocked by the situation that I just stared at it. He didn't move. It was not a famous Mexican standoff but totally noteworthy in my daily, day to day, Ozark living.

I might add that my boyfriend, upon hearing my Old-Man Yelp, came a' running with a loaded gun, to protect his woman. Lucky for us all, the snake slithered on and I came back to Nerissa-like senses.

Snakes ARE very common there. Specifically poisonous snakes ARE very common in Missouri. This snake, well, was not one of them. But he could have been!

I saw turtles. I saw turtles in a pond. We were sent to that very pond, by family members, with a specific turtle population mission. It was a more a quest. A quest with loaded .22 rifles...

We played cards at night while watching funny movies from our 80's past, drank coffee out of mugs from the 1970's, swung the porch swing every morning while gazing at herds of deer, hung out at Patsy's Bar where a nine month old served me a shot of Jameson, and I met two grandparents at the Shirley Cemetery, which is NOT a town but a lovely place to bury your dead. 

The drive back today was long, twisted and devious, with a tinge of coffee overload, sugar shock, Jack in the Box, Pizza Lunchables, Alien questions with answers, Art of War remembrances, and Sunflower Seeds.

Now I sit on the floor of my home in some sort of glaze in life that only a 13 hour drive can truly provide the soul. I survived. Better yet, I am awesomely alive. Yo.

But will be in bed very soon.

I'M HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment