Channel the Yoda

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

30 Years and Counting!

On the eve of my 30th birthday I am happy to report that it is A BEAUTIFUL DAY! The snow is melted, the grass is brown and my cough has eased up on my wretched lungs and throat.

I am enjoying my life and the choices I have made as of late. But I admit that closing in on 30 is slightly unnerving.

My life is in no way normal. Besides the obvious of no marriage, children, house or mortgage, PTA or preschool, or 9 to 5 employment, I tend to spend my life in transit. Whether driving an hour to work, hour back, moving to foreign countries and then back, flying here or there, heck everywhere, I sometimes find myself out of balance.

That is the best way to describe me as of now, out of whack. It will pass and is great fuel for writing which, besides travel and coffee, is my greatest passion.

But it is hard to not follow the path most traveled. I could’ve gotten married, popped out children, found a quiet job, bought a house and became STATIONARY but deep down I always knew it wasn’t the right path for me.

Maybe it’s the compulsive in me—or the traveler but I am nothing more or less than a free spirit ebbing and flowing with the current of life. I feel most alive and free when I just let it all be.

And I write this last part for my grandmother who worries about my future—if a man comes along someday who moves with my current and well, doesn’t annoy me too much and accepts my quirks as much as I accept his, I MAY, just may let him share my coffee. We will just have to see.

With that I say a big THANK YOU--THANK YOU for reading my blog the COMPULSIVE TRAVELER and most of all, being with me on the momentous 30th birthday!

5 comments:

  1. If you find "closing in on 30" unnerving, just wait til you're turning 40 and see what "comes up" for you then!!!! LOL

    Do your thing and don't let anybody tell you different. Wish I'd known at 30 what I know now---I'd be right there with you!

    Happy Birthday (tomorrow), Nerissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thank you! Good luck in Chile. I do want to go back there but I'm not sure when.

    Did you hear back from a publisher yet? Sorry, I have no answers yet about time frame.

    Hope you are well!

    Nerissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Nerissa!!!!

    I hope your 30's are all that you want them to be... Keep the stories coming, I absolutely love reading them and living thru your adventures!!!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday.....and keep writing......LOVE reading the stories as they are GREAT!~!~ Enjoy your day.....keep making memories and >living< life :-)

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday,
    There always has to be one in the family. You happen to be our "Auntie Mame". So Happy Birthday, quirky Rissa. Love ya.

    Cindy, Jeff and Emily

    ReplyDelete