Channel the Yoda

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

8.8 Aftermath in Chile

It has been over 2 weeks now since the 8.8 earthquake hit Chile and the natural disasters continue with more earthquakes, aftershocks and tsunamis creating chaos among its citizens.

When watching the immediate aftermath of the 8.8 I saw a country I did not recognize...LOOTING AND RIOTS! Never! This was and I hope will be again, a peaceful country. And the idea that people may think Chileans are barbaric because of the video news feeds from the last 2 weeks breaks my heart.

Chile, though still considered 3rd World or under developed, is by no means backwards. The cities have paved roads, stoplights, McDonalds and Starbucks, mobile phone service, internet access, a successful transportation system, condos and universities.

This is a country that is proud of its history; its plight for democracy and freedom, and its strength in maintaining it.

I am proud of Chile. I am proud to have been a resident. And I believe that they will rebound with grace...once the ground stops freaking shaking underneath them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going back, Nerissa. Soon, like the middle of April. I have to see my people. I want to look into their eyes and hug them close. I know they're okay, but I want to SEE that they're okay.

    ReplyDelete